25 May 2012

Cold Coconut and Raw Mango Soup


I quite lose my appetite during the summer. The blazing heat and intense humidity of a tropical climate make me want to survive on just cold water or lemonade. It leaves me very doleful, to be honest.
So this month I thought of forgetting about baking and the oven and instead focus only on cool liquids and fresh salads, ice cream and sorbets. I wanted to eat stuff that was healthy, light and refreshing – preferably something that I could make without cursing the heat and wishing for an air conditioner in the kitchen.


The coconut and mango soup I made fit the bill effortlessly. Keep the ingredients ready and it can be made in a jiffy. Good Food magazine suggests that you drink it as is or mix it with plain boiled rice.


Cold Coconut and Raw Mango Soup
Serves 6
Ingredients:
1 tsp oil
2 green chillies
½ cup grated fresh coconut
2 medium raw mangoes, peeled and grated
1 litre, water
2 tsp salt
Tempering:
2 tsp oil
1 tsp mustard seeds
3 dried red chillies, torn into bits
1 sprig curry leaves
½ tsp asafetida
Method:
1.       Roast the green chillies in oil in a small wok. In a mixer, grind the green chillies, coconut and raw mango to a fine paste. Use a little water if necessary.
2.       Mix the ground paste with 1 litre of water. For the seasoning, heat the oil in a small wok and add the mustard seeds. When they splutter, put in the curry leaves, asafetida and dry red chillies.
3.       Pour the hot seasoning into the soup, add the salt and mix. I like having it cold – chill it for a few hours before serving.



1 comment:

  1. what shud i say!!!! am reading u r blog after ages and this once makes me salivate!!!!
    we make a similar one with tamarind water.. cool tamarind soup wid chillies n onion!!

    ReplyDelete