28 Aug 2011

Baked Yoghurt with Cinnamon


This is easily the easiest dessert I have made in a fairly long time. It’s something that can be cooked on the spur of the moment and barely takes any time at all. And so creamy and light with a delicious cinnamony taste. You can make so many variations too! Use a vanilla pod, saffron, cardamom, nutmeg, and just about any kind of fruit.

I had read the recipe somewhere but had never got around to trying it out. It was only when I heard my grandmother complaining of the amount of curd we waste everyday that I suddenly remembered I could make this. Since I didn’t have the recipe written down and all I could remember were the ingredients and that they were to be mixed in equal quantities, I decided to try out a little experiment without resorting to the internet to bail me out as always. What followed was a most beautiful, elegant and refined dessert. And I just loved the lovely specks of cinnamon in it!

 So what I did was mix together equal quantities of yoghurt, condensed milk and cream with a bit of cinnamon. And then I had no idea how to bake it! I thought of using a water bath in the oven but gave up just because I was lazy (if you try it out, do let me know). Finally I just baked it normally for 20 minutes.


My experiment – before stirring in the cinnamon, I had kept a bit of the cream - yoghurt mix aside. I mixed in some canned blueberries into this and popped it into the oven for 15 minutes. When I took it out to check, it had a small puddle of water on the top (I’m not sure why this is, it may be because I used homemade yoghurt that has a lot of water). So I scooped that out and found though the top had slightly set, there was water underneath. I stirred the whole thing and scooped out the rest of the water. The mix had now become grainy. I put it back into the oven for another 15 minutes. This was delicious though not as creamy as the cinnamon yoghurt. Though it was grainy and curdled, I was quite surprised at how great it was to eat!
                                           

Baked Yoghurt

Makes 3 large bowls or 6 small bowls

Ingredients

200 gms yoghurt
200 gms cream
200 gms condensed milk
1 tsp cinnamon

Method

  1. Preheat the oven to 120 C / 250 F
  2. Stir the yoghurt well so that no lumps remain.
  3. Stir in the cinnamon.
  4. Mix in the condensed milk and cream.
  5. Divide the mixture into the bowls and bake for 15 – 20 minutes.
  6. Refrigerate it and serve cold.


No comments:

Post a Comment